Did you have a good weekend? I hope so! We spent ours with friends at a cottage–a tradition 4 years’ running! We ate extremely well, swam in the lake, went tubing, watched the fireworks, and stayed up way past my bedtime chatting.
A fun addition to the weekend was a jello shot competition. I use the word “competition” very lightly, as no one actually won (unless you’re counting all of us, since we got to taste test to our hearts’ content). There were green apple, patriotic red/white/blue, pineapple upside down cake, and even mojito jello shots. Mmmmmm….good!
For our contribution, we used the basics of a Johnny Vegas shot–tequila, watermelon liqueur, and red bull. To gel it up: watermelon jello. These shots are sweet. So sweet. And rather strong. A little will go a long ways.
For the best results, make sure all of your liquid is cold–the tequila and liqueur should go in the freezer, and the red bull in the fridge. Leave it there for a few hours before you get going. They’ll gel better if you do.
- 1 1/2 cups tequila
- 1 1/2 cups watermelon liqueur
- 1 cup red bull
- 4 watermelon jello packets
- 4 cups boiling water
- 50-2 oz solo cups, or 100-1 oz, if you want them smaller
- Chill all liquid--alcohol in the freezer and red bull in the fridge. Prep solo cups on trays for easy storing.
- Once chilled, measure tequila, liqueur, and red bull into a bowl or measuring cup so they can settle at a common temperature.
- Prepare jello: boil the water. In a bowl, add jello and boiling water and mix with a whisk for 2 minutes. Add alcohol mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour jello into solo cups--use a measuring cup with a pouring spout, a ladle, or a small measuring cup for ease of pouring.
- Allow the shots to set in the fridge. It will take 2-4 hours.
Have you ever made jello shots? What’s your favorite flavor?